The department Business Administration and Management is operating on the confers of School of Business and Financial Studies a National Diploma Programme (ND) aimed at producing diplomats with sound theoretical and practical knowledge to carry out a number of activities in a business concern effectively.
The department ensures that an ND diplomate should be able to:
- Conduct a simple structured survey on any aspect of business and make appropriate recommendations to the authority.
- Identify management problems at appropriate levels, analyze them and design management strategies to overcome them.
- Carry our inspection and auditing of books and records.
- Carry out evaluation of investment assets for investment purposes and assist in the analysis of investment proposals.
- Interpret basic statistical data.
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term budget plans.
- Write business reports and carry out various types of business communication effectively. •Explain basic concepts and principles in economics and their applications in mixed economy. • Apply principles of accounts to different types of accounting transactions.
- Use statistical inferences as aids to business plan and control.
- Understand the basic principles of law and apply same to business relationship and transactions.
- Explain various legal principles and procedures governing the regulations of companies as contained in company decree of 1968.
- Apply mathematics and other quantitative techniques in management decision process. •Conduct product-planning surveys for manufacturing organizations.
- Organize sales and distribution of materials.
- Carry out market research and similar functions.
- Carry out effective purchasing tasks and sales advertising.
- Undertake proper storage and preservation of materials and goods.
- Keep simple records of financial and other transaction in any organization.
- Speak and write clear, correct and effective functional English.
- Buy efficiently and wisely obtaining the best possible value for every Naira spent
- Ensure continuity of supply both to the markets or production units.
General Entry Requirements for National Diploma (ND) in Business Administration and Management
The general entry requirements for the ND programme are:
1.1 The WASC, GCE ‘O’ Level or the Senior Secondary Certificate (SSC) or their equivalent with four credits including English Language and Mathematics (Literature in English and Oral English are not acceptable in place of English Language) and two other subjects from economics, Business Methods, Principles of Accounts, Literature in English, Commerce, History, Statistics, Geography, Government, Agricultural Science/Biology.
1.2 A credit pass in N.B.T.E. recognized pre National Diploma Examination.
2.1 The department’s curriculum is structured in four semesters of classroom, studio/workshop activities in the institution and 3 to 4 month supervised industrial work experience scheme (SIWES) in a relevant industry. Each semester of institutional based activities shall be for a duration of 17 weeks distributed as follows: 15 contact weeks of teaching; i.e. recitation, practical exercises, quizzes, tests etc., and 2 weeks to be devoted for examination and registration.
2.2 The curriculum of the ND programme consists of four main components viz:
(i) General Studies courses
(ii) Foundation course
(iii) Professional course
(iv) Supervised Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES).
2.3 The General Education component includes courses in Social Sciences Studies/Mathematics/ English Language /Communication, Citizenship. Entrepreneurship. The General Education courses shall account for not more than 15% of the total contact hours for the programme.
2.4 Foundation Courses include Economics, Quantitative Techniques, Statistics, and Law etc. The number of hours for the foundation courses shall be between 10 – 15% of the total contact hours for the programmes.
2.5 Professional Courses are specialized core courses which give the student the theory and practical skills he needs to practice in his field of specialization at the technician/technological level.
2.6 Supervised Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) Tailor-made course outline are drawn up by the institution for the placement of students in relevant industry of a convenient period of the programme.
2.7 Final year (ND) Project. Final year ND students in this programme are expected to carry out individual project work (not term paper). This should be produced and bounded by the student.
3.0 Conditions for the award of the ND
3.1 The ND programme in Business Administration and Management is accredited by the NBTE. This simply means that the diplomats can be awarded the National Diploma certificates as soon as they graduate.
3.2 Institutions will award the National Diploma to candidates who successfully completed the programme after passing prescribed coursework, examination, diploma project and the supervised industrial work experience. Such candidates should have completed between 72-80 semester credit units as prescribed in the programme.
3.3 Diplomas shall be classified as follows:
Distinction – GPA of 3.50 and above
Upper Credit – GPA of 3.00 – 3.49
Lower Credit – GPA of 2.50 – 2.99
Pass – GPA of 2.00 – 2.49
Fail – GPA of below 2.00
3.4 Duration: It should be emphasized that the National Diploma (ND) programme is terminal and candidates graduating from the programme should be able to perform at that level. Each Diploma programme is expected to run for 4 semesters of 17 weeks, a candidate must take at least 15 credit units per semester while the maximum varies between 18 and 20.
5.0 Guidance notes for teachers teaching the programme
6.1 Staff: The Department currently has four (4) lecturers, and a clerical officer which is in line with NBTE standard.
|F||IDAKWO||O||L||FT||BUSINESS||EXAMS OFFICER||LECTURER III||07037153217|
The department have over two hundred (200) students for both ND1 and ND2 and has graduated two batches of students since inception in 2014.
6.3 Profile of Staff:
- Name: Eyibio Okon Ikpe: Bsc, PGDE.
Organization: Institute of Technology and Management Ugep. Cross River State.
Present Position: Ag. HOD Business Administration and Management
Currently a Polytechnic lecturer II with Institute of Technology and Management Ugep. Cross River State, with strong academic, teaching, marketing, and business, auditing and accounting background, possessing solid experience in managing polytechnic programs. Nearly 8years and 6 to 8 years of marketing, auditing and accounting significant experience and demonstrate excellent teaching that foster students critical skills leading to significantly improved performance. Comfortable within all teaching environments and able to articulate and demonstrate vast range of other transferable skills and administrative expertise.
Mr. Ikpe a Sales Executive, an Audit trainee manager, and a trained teacher with over 15 years of managerial and teaching experiences (combined).
- Excellent track record fostering, motivating and encouraging student leading.
- Solid experience demonstrate good practice in developing modules.
- Directing students in their dissertation project.
- Setting, conducting, supervising, marking and preparing of students result.
- Able to make significant contribution in encouraging students to start-up business enterprise.
- Proactive team player, able to accept challenges, pressure and heavy workloads.
- Computer skills, proficient use of MS word, excel and power point.
- Excellent negotiation skills to identify and maximize opportunities and deliver results in high-pressured environments.
- Good leadership and management skills to develop business initiatives whilst maximizing profit, minimizing cost and driving continues change.
- Effective communicating skills, with proven track record of combined sales/marketing knowledge, audit training, teaching knowledge in both business and financial management.
Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), 2012, a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) In Accounting and currently M.Sc in Accounting and Finance Benue State University Makurdi.
Student Member Institute of Chartered of Nigeria (ICAN).
Member Nigeria Accounting Association.
Member Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria.
|Cross River Institute of Technology and Management||2014 till date|
|Canadian international organization||2015 to 2016|
|Sofasi Petroleum||2011 to 2012|
|Sunny Okon & Co. Chartered Accountant.||2009 to 2010|
|Heinemann Educational Publishers.||2003 to 2008|
|Jehovah Jireh Group of schools.||2008 to 2009|
OKWUOSE, OBY PEACE.
I am an enthusiastic, self-motivated, reliable, responsible and hard working person. I am a mature team worker and adaptable to all challenging situations. I am able to work well both in a team environment as well as using own initiative. I am able to work well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.
I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from The National Teachers Institute, Kaduna and a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) In Business Administration and Management from Madonna University.
- Institute of Technology and Management, Ugep. I am currently a Lecturer in the Department of Business Management and Entrepreneur (BME). Before Joining the Teaching and Learning Team, I worked as the professional Assistant to the Rector of The Institute of Technology and Management. My work as a Lecturer involves
- Facilitate the students on a range of programs while providing high quality learning opportunities to meet the requirements of individual students and learning groups in line with the Institute’s strategic priorities and goals.
- Effectively provide flexible assessment opportunities for students by strategically planning, examining, tracking and recording student retention and achievement in accordance to the institute’s academic policies and procedures.
- Strategically position as a main point of contact with departmental heads and other education professionals to establish high quality curriculums and programs for the teaching and learning team.
- Actively contribute to the development of standard moderation procedures for the use of numerous assessment methods by the institute, as well as observe the adoption of the procedures for the enhancement of learning practice.
- Hold the credit of leading multiple trainings, as well as academic and pastoral support for groups of students, moreover attain a level of “outstanding” on the institute’s formal lesson observations.
I have also volunteered as a facilitator of Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development (YouLead) organised by Canadian University Students Overseas (CUSO International). Where I trained trainers from Yakurr and Biase Local Government Area, Cross River State Nigeria on the Concept of Marketing Strategies & Research, Customer Loyalty, Time Management and ICT for Entrepreneurship in Business.
- Before joining ITM, I gained Teaching experience during my National Youth Service program at Community Secondary School, Mgbuosimini, Port-Harcourt.