The Cross River Institute of Technology and Management (CR-ITM) offers a serene environment for higher education and research.
The Polytechnic was established by Edict No. 4 in 2012 by the Cross River State Government (CRSG) in partnership with Highbury College Portsmouth, UK as part of a unique transformational state-wide Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) project. It was accredited in 2015 by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
The State Polytechnic was conceptualised to bridge the manpower skill gap in the Niger Delta by focusing on wealth creation, business formation/growth and technical skill acquisition needed for progression to higher level study, employment and entrepreneurship.
The TVET Eco System has continued to evolve to achieve the vision of the State Government which was centred on the promotion of excellence, response to the needs of Industry, leading to employment for the youth of Nigeria with National and International recognition as a model of best practices in supporting wealth, prosperity and economic growth.
The Polytechnic is strategically located at Ugep in the Central Senatorial District of Cross River State. This unique location makes it easily accessible by students from Calabar up to Ikom, Ogoja and Obudu axis of the State as well as students from neigbouring States such as Ebonyi, Abia, Akwa Ibom and Benue as well as International students from Cameroon.
The focus of the Polytechnic is aimed at addressing the skills gap at mid-level technical manpower supply and in response to the contemporary needs of Industry and labour market. Graduates of the CR-ITM are therefore equipped with the requisite technical expertise and skills for employment in the labour market in the 21st Century.
Furthermore, The CR-ITM’s curriculum is structured on developing enterprising behaviours, attributes and skills as well as entrepreneurial mind-sets and capabilities. This was meticulously achieved through the domestication and blending of the British curriculum with that of the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) in Nigeria, with national and global contents, quality assurance control (QAC) and standard best practices toward students’ success.
The Polytechnic runs National Diploma programmes which are designed to produce Industry-based graduates, capable of applying the acquired skills and technically competent to meet National middle-level manpower needs in most areas of their field of specialism. Higher National Diploma programmes will soon kick off.
CR-ITM is an excellent “Student-Centred” learning environment with a strong theme on innovations, entrepreneurship and technology, equipped with expatriates and Nigerian academics, robust network environment, conducive hostels and zero tolerance for academic misconducts.
Our goal is to be the Polytechnic of choice for career minded students and employers locally, nationally and internationally. Develop graduates with skills and expertise needed for work, within the global economy. Central to the curriculum design is the development of a set of consistent institutional graduate attributes to achieve a common reference point and stimulus for programmes across the employment pathways.
THE POLYTECHNIC’S FIVE INTEGRATED PRINCIPLES:
- A coherent curriculum based on performance excellence.
- An outstanding learning experience which takes account of individual need.
- A holistic approach to the development of the employ-ability skills required for diverse roles in the global workforce.
- Innovation, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship, as defining features of the curriculum and the student experience.
- Curriculum design and evaluation that incorporates feedback and evaluation from students and employers as partners in learning.
DEPARTMENTS IN THE POLYTECHNIC
- Student Affairs
- Due Process and Price Intelligence
- Public Relations
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL STUDIES
- Department of Accountancy
- Department of Business Administration and Management
- Department of Public Administration
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Hospitality Management
- Department of Leisure and Tourism Management
- Department of Mass Communication